Welcome to this Beginner’s Guide for American Style Rumba Beginner Steps! You will start by learning the Top 10 Basic Rumba Steps and we’ll build your dance skills from there.
If you’re curious as to the differences between American and International style Rumba, you can check that out here.
In this easy to follow 20 minute latin dance tutorial, you’ll be learning:
- 10 Basic Rumba steps (We show you the Leader parts and follower parts separately, as well as how to dance them with a partner.)
- Rumba Timing
- A basic Rumba dance routine that you can practice with these 10 basic steps.
- How to dance to music
- & MORE!
For those who want a little more challenge after this, you can check out some other videos such as:
How to do Rumba “New Yorker” Arm Styling (Beginner – Int Tutorial)
How to dance Rumba “Shoulder to Shoulder” 4 Ways (Intermediate Tutorial)
How to dance RUMBA Sliding Door 5 Variations (Advanced Tutorial)
And if this tutorial seems too fast/ too overwhelming for you, no problem! Start with this other Basic Rumba Walks – Hip Action Tutorial instead – where Tytus shows you how to do the hip action for Rumba Walks. Have fun!
10 American Basic Rumba Beginner Steps you’ll learn in this tutorial:
- 1. Rumba Basic (Box Step) – 1:04
- 2. Together Together – 2:34
- 3 & 4. Open Break, Under Arm Turn – 4:38
- 5. Fifth Position Breaks – 6:56
- 6. Cucaracha – 9:28
- 7. Box Under Arm Turn – 10:43
- 8. Cross Over Break – 12:28
- 9. Spot Turn – 15:21
- 10. Cross Body Lead – 17:39
- American Rumba Basic Dance Routine (with counts): 20:40
- American Rumba Basic Dance Routine (with music): 22:35
For each of the above steps, you’ll learn:
A. What the step looks like with a partner
B. Leader’s part
C. Follower’s part
D. Timing of the step with a partner
At the end of the 10 steps, you’ll put it together into a routine and finally dance along with us to music! OH YEAH! Try it out and if it’s too fast and makes you anxious, then just slow it down and do it without music until you’re comfortable with the speed.
There is no hurry for you to learn it all at once. There is a lot of information, and body awareness as well as muscle memory that is required for Partner dancing. So, take your time, create some goals for what you want and start moving!
What is easy? What is challenging for you? Leave us a comment below. And if you have any questions, we’re happy to answer them. 🙂