I absolutely LUUUURRRRF Paso Doble. It enticed me the first time I danced it, and I’ve only fallen deeper and deeper in love with this dance ever since. Even Tytus is jealous. 😉 Sometimes, I will just start singing the Paso Doble tune for no reason at all, especially when I’m driving or doing the dishes.
In this Lesson, we are focusing on improving only 2 steps:
1. The Appel (what you will typically see as a stomp of the foot, but is really just a step in place)
2. The forward walk
But the magic is that improving these 2 elements can improve your entire dance dramatically because these are common mistakes that are made throughout the dance. Is that awesome or what?
Paso Doble Tip #1: Maintain A Long Neck
Tip #2: Keep Your Gaze & Head Directly Forward
1. Look directly forward or at your partner.
2. Leave your Standard Ballroom frame in the closet!!!
Tip #3: Keep Your Frame Still During the Appel
1. Engage your chest, back and arms to keep your frame still.
2. Do not bounce your head.
3. Try making minimal noise with the Appel step.
Tip #4: Keep Your Free Leg In Contact With The Floor During The Appel
1. Practice NOT lifting your foot off the floor before the appel.
2. Keep a slight bend in both knees after your appel.
3. Squeeze your thighs together during the appel.
4. Try to keep the sound of your foot hitting the ground on the appel soft by controlling the landing of the step.
Tip #5: Keep Your Tush Tucked Under
1. Squeeze your tush and keep your tailbone pointing down.
2. Practice walking by leading with the hips.
3. Instead of leaning back with the body, push the hips forward by engaging your glutes and feel the natural counter-balance of the torso stretching back.
The Paso Doble as a social dance?
Most folks in the USA think of the Paso Doble as purely a performance or competitive dance. This has led to a situation where few dancers learn the Paso Doble, and even fewer dance studios would play it for a social dance. However, paso doble is actually widely danced in a social setting (yes, lead and follow) in Asia and Europe.
Leave me a comment below and tell me what you think – Paso Doble social dancing – yay or neh?