Mistake #1: Turned In Feet
Cha Cha Chasse Technique – Feet Action
1. Keep a Turned Out position in the legs & feet all the time. (i.e.: no bow-legged action)
2. Close the ankles on the 2nd Step and keep your feet pointing outwards.
3. Work your inner thighs forward on the last step (especially on the free leg).
Mistake #2: FlipFlopping Hips
Cha Cha Side Chasse Technique – Hip Action
1. Hips rotate in opposition to the leg you are moving. i.e.: Moving the right leg side, left hip rotates back and vice versa.
Mistake #3: Bouncing
No Bouncing. I repeat. No Bouncing.
1. Straighten the leg before you put your weight on it.
2. Keep the standing leg straight when you push off. Often, dancers will bend the leg they are standing on to create more push off, which will erroneously create a bounce action.
Mistake #4: Being A Stiffy (Knees Always Straight)
Cha Cha Side Chasse Technique – Knees
1. Bend your knee when you move your leg.
2. Straighten your knee when you are about to transfer weight onto it.
Mistake #5: Rotating the Body Too Early
Cha Cha Side Chasse Technique – Body Shape
1. Keep your Torso directly parallel to direction of chasse.
2. Do not turn your body before finishing the entire side chasse. This mistake is especially prominent in side chasses going into New Yorkers or Hand-to-Hand etc.
While you are on a Cha Cha roll, also practice these: